Job Title: Emergency Service Dispatcher
Location: Police Department
Department: Public Safety
Salary: $9.47 an hour ($19.696.97/yearly)
Description of Essential Functions of the Position:
Works under the general supervision of the Support Services Commander.
Specialized work in receiving and dispatching messages in a communications center through the use of telephone. Radio and other communications equipment and operation of accessory equipment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Operates telephone, radio, computer, and other communications equipment
- Maintains radio contact with all police and fire units as needed
- Maintains records of all emergency and other dispatches on a log
- Periodically makes routine announcements and relays messages via radio
- Receives and processes warrants and other police records; makes necessary entries in a logbook
- Monitors, changes, and marks tapes when necessary
- Maintains an inventory of supplies at the communications desk and requests additional supplies when necessary
- Receives and provides proper receipt for fines and fees after hours and on weekends
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience
- Graduation from high school or G.E.D equivalent, and at least six (6) months of experience desired but not required
- Minimum age of twenty one years, or
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience.
NECESSARY KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of English, spelling, punctuation, and arithmetic
- Knowledge of the geography of the City and the location of the streets and important buildings
- Knowledge of police, fire, and emergency protection systems
- A procedural working knowledge of the occupational hazards involved in the work and the proper safety precautions for the safe performance of the job
- Skill in operating a computer keyboard
- Ability to understand and follow moderately complex oral and written instructions and procedures
- Ability to think and act quickly. calmly, and efficiently in emergency situations
- Ability to speak clearly in a well-modulated voice and to use good diction
- Ability to learn quickly the operation of telephone. radio, computer, and other communications equipment
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other departments, and the public
- Must be able to obtain a valid Mississippi State's driver license
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
- Computer, telephone, and radio.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk and listen. The employee is occasionally required to walk; use hands to operate, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, and must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those the employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately quiet.